Sunday, July 21, 2013

Bug Out Bag, Initial Thoughts

I've used a variety of resources to develop my BOB, along with various survival forums. The books that have been most helpful:
From these, I've picked 10 principles in bug out bag design:
  1. Redundancy. The less experience you have, the more redundancy you need. I can light a fire with a magnesium starter, a Bic lighter, or waterproof matches. If you know what you're doing, you can reduce this. The magnesium starter is really enough, but what if I lose it? 
  2. Layering. Similar to redundancy, I assume I might lose my primary backpack. Can I survive with my front pack? Are weapons available if I have to dump my backpack in an emergency? So I build layering in along with redundancy. Additional gear that I can't pack out will also be in the car, but nothing essential. Ideally I could survive with the contents of my pockets.
  3. Backup Plans. Assume your three days of preps won't be enough. That's where snares and emergency fishing kits come into play, or perhaps a .22 rifle. It's why I carry a small stove, usable with standard fuel or twigs, even though I've got three days of MRE's. Heck, the whole idea of a BOB is you drive it to your bug out location. If it's on your back, something else has gone horribly wrong.
  4. Fitness is Key. As I get to the tail end of assembling my bag, the reality of carrying a 45 pound pack is starting to dawn on me. If you're out of shape and middle aged (me), you may have a problem. If you're a 20-something eagle scout, you're probably fine. As for me, when my bag is done, I'll be taking it for a hike, after which I'll likely be culling it of heavy, unnecessary or otherwise undesirable gear. A long term goal might be to source lightweight or almost as good gear that takes up less space. Start going to the gym.
  5. Test Your Gear. I try to preliminarily test all my gear. It's how I learned my Esbit stove took three fuel cubes to boil a canteen cup of water in the wind, rather than the half a cube the box suggested. I hate camping, but if you like it, it's a great opportunity to test gear and cycle out expiring supplies.
  6. The Gray Man. You want to blend in with the crowd. You don't want to be tactical. All the young guys will argue for their militaristic gear, like the super cool tactical vest. It seems eminently practical, but it shouts you have cool stuff, or you might be a loose cannon. You'll attract attention from law enforcement, thugs and the desperate who will all want to take your cool gear from you. Blend in. In California, for example, there's no acceptable place to openly wear a holster. You can't openly carry loaded or unloaded, you can't wear it at the range, so don't even get one. If you have a firearm, it's always going to be hidden. Build your defense plan around that.
  7. Primary Bag. Build one primary bag in the family, which I'm guessing will be designed by the person most into prepping.  Everyone else brings their share of clothes, sleeping bags, lighting, food and water, but that's about it. My wife has medical training, so I bought an extensive first aid kit for her bag, but I have a standard first aid kit for my bag. The kids bag holds his clothes, some very basic, lightweight, emergency supplies, and a small amount of food, just in case. The majority of his food and water is divided between his parents' bags.
  8. The Best is What's At Hand.  As one book shows, you can build a BOB for $300. If you're a gear snob, like me, don't spend years assembling your bag. The best bag is what's at hand. The best weapon is the one you're carrying now, the best bug out vehicle is the one you're driving at the moment. If you can't afford something or can't use it because it's not practical, it's probably not a good choice. My current conundrum is a Bug Out Vehicle, as I would like it to be my daily driver, but I would also like it to get 25 MPG. Good luck finding a capable 4x4 that meets that criteria (I think I've found it in an imported diesel Land Cruiser).
  9. Buy Essentials First. I really want a $90 tactical flashlight, but the next $90 will go towards a fleece jacket. Work on buying the essentials first: food, water, shelter, the bag. Luckily I had a backpack from the beginning, but some people buy it last, to fit their gear, something I think might be dangerous. Figure out your weight limit, about 25% of your target body weight. So if you're 200 pounds of muscle, go right ahead and go with a 50 pound pack. Get the important stuff first, put a carry limit on the whole thing, and work backwards if you must to find lighter gear.
  10. Don't Forget the Plan. Where do you think you're going? I originally planned to evacuate to Southern California until I realized that I didn't have the fuel range and it likely would be hit hard in my disaster scenario, potentially experiencing a regional water crisis. Plus, my relatives are not likely going to be prepared. Even if I bought them all the supplies to stock up, they still might not go along. My solution was to find a like minded friend in a suitable location. The obvious people you turn to in a crisis might not be the best people in this case. Also, you should be able to walk to your bug out location in a pinch (10 miles a day at most). You should have multiple routes in (one of my backup routes is off road). You should have a rally point where you meet your family. There should be an understanding of what needs to be grabbed and taken in a pinch, what vehicle is to be driven, etc. 
Creek Stewart ready to bug out. Buy his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment