Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Get Home Bag (GHB)

I've been working on this 20 pound project for several months. Ideally, I think you would start with an Every Day Carry (EDC), work up to a Get Home Bag (GHB), and finally tackle the big project of a Bug Out Bag (BOB). Each of these tends to be a subset of the other, plus there's a learning curve. My GHB relied heavily on research from my BOB.  I'll also mention that I tend not to work any synergies into these three loads, as in I don't expect to be grabbing items from my GHB for my BOB, although it's likely I'll have both together if the BOB is ever needed.

I started collecting items while research the bag, but I kind of knew which bag I wanted. This is the 5.11 Tactical Rush 12 bag. The bag was around $100, but it contains so many pockets and compartments that it easily saved me $30 in organizers. All in, the bag is at 20 pounds (recently added the Camelbak for an extra 3 pounds), and it's small enough to work out of, unlike, say, my BOB, which weights 45 pounds and is designed to be left in "camp" while I bring a second bag for shorter trips.

The bag is rugged, and although I would like it to cinch up a little better, it fits well with lots of padding. The Molle loops won't get much use, except for the Ka Bar attached to the side. It gets looks out on the trail, but it's the only legal way to carry it in California. Speaking of which, there is no handgun load for my GHB. California's restrictive carry laws makes it illegal to carry one either concealed or open. I'm expecting the laws to change soon.



Item QTY
Bags and Accessories
5.11 Rush 24 Backpack 1
Dry Doc Map Case (Seattle Sports) 1
Lifeline Weather Resistant Case (fire box) 1
Maxpedition Single Sheath  1
Seal Line Storm - Dry Sack, 10L (for clothes) 1
Water and Hydration
Camelbak 1.5 liter 1
Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth Water Bottle 32 Oz 1
1
Space Saver Cup, Oilcamp                  
Water Purification Tablets, Potable Aqua
1
Food and Food Preparation
Cliff Bars 2
Hard Candy, Jolly Ranchers 12
Lightload Towels 2
MRE, (main course) 1
Clothing
Bandana 1
Boot Laces, Extra Pair 1
Gloves, MechanixWear Original 1
Hat 1
Jacket (seasonal) 1
Leather Work Gloves 1
Long Pants, moisture wicking 1
Long Sleeve T-Shirt, Under Armour Men's HeatGear® Tactical 1
Socks, wool/poly 1
T-Shirt, Under Armour 1228539 Men's S/S Tech 1
Underwear, moisture wicking, Under Armor Boxer Briefs 1
Watch Cap, Condor, Coyote (WC-003) 1
Fire Kit
Bic Lighter 2
Dryer Lint 1
Magnesium Fire Starter 1
Wetfire Fire Starters 3
First Aid and Survival
Chapstick 1
Emergency Bivvy 1
First Aid Kit 1
Mylar Rescue Blanket 1
Sunscreen 1
Hygiene
Hand sanitizer, Purell 1
Tissues 1
Wet Whipes 1
Tools
Ka-Bar Becker BK7 Combat Utility Fixed Blade Knife (7-Inch)  1
Leatherman, Wingman 1
Spyderco Endura4 Lightweight FRN Flat Ground PlainEdge Knife 1
Lighting
Light Stick (yellow), Coleman Ilumistick 1
Nebo Redline SE tactical flashlight (250 lumen) 1
Nite Ize SLG17-06-02 SpotLit, Lime Plastic 1
Petzl Tactikka XP Headlamp  1
Communications
Cell Phone (iPhone 5S) with rubber case 1
Compass, Glow in the Dark, Suunto A-30 1
Regional Map 1
Rite in the Rain All-Weather Pen 1
Rite in the Rain Tactical Shirt Pocket Notebook 1
Signal Mirror, Sol Rescue Flash 1
Whistle 1
Self Defense
SABRE RED Police Strength Pepper Spray 1
Miscellaneous
Duct Tape 1
Etón ARCFR160WXR AM/FM/NOAA Radio, FL, Phone Charger 1
Eyeglass Cleaning Kit 1
Eyeglass Repair Kit (screwdriver, screws, pads) 1
iPhone charging cable 1
N95 Respirator Mask 1
Paracord 550, 100 Feet 1
Plastic Baggies 2
SAS Survival Manual (Mini) 1
Sewing Kit 1
Trash Bags, White 1
Zip Ties (lightweight) 3

No comments:

Post a Comment